Pit of learning is getting deeper
Wednesday 16 October 2019
Meeow, meeow meeow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is has been another frustrating frolic on the cat scratch pad. The students have struggled to sign. Some have been locked out and my prior knowledge is hindering both their progress and mine.
Due to my lack of knowledge when we have a problem I struggle to fix it. The problem solving happens but we only get as far as mu knowledge will take me. Even using the problem solving help button doesn't always help. Today we had quite a few challenges with students signing in and not being able to. Took a lot of time trying to work through this.
What would help?
A folder for each child with a plan of what we are doing.
A sheet like the Scratch Studio Unit 0 Activity in child speak for the students. A copy for teachers as well.
It might be a good idea to have step by step on instructions to help the children follow what they need to do. This may help to scaffold both the teachers and students who may find this challenging. Information to refer back to. Those who are more able can help others and may also be able to continue ahead while waiting for others or they can work on other secondary projects.
I know that I did programming in 1982 - 1984. But that was quite different to what I am doing now and the technology has moved ahead in leaps and bounds.
Would it have more prudent for us to start at the beginning - getting teachers more IT Literate and comfortable with dealing with problems that might arise from this situation.
Perhaps we are trying to run before we can walk!!!!!
Meeow, meeow meeow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is has been another frustrating frolic on the cat scratch pad. The students have struggled to sign. Some have been locked out and my prior knowledge is hindering both their progress and mine.
Due to my lack of knowledge when we have a problem I struggle to fix it. The problem solving happens but we only get as far as mu knowledge will take me. Even using the problem solving help button doesn't always help. Today we had quite a few challenges with students signing in and not being able to. Took a lot of time trying to work through this.
What would help?
A folder for each child with a plan of what we are doing.
A sheet like the Scratch Studio Unit 0 Activity in child speak for the students. A copy for teachers as well.
It might be a good idea to have step by step on instructions to help the children follow what they need to do. This may help to scaffold both the teachers and students who may find this challenging. Information to refer back to. Those who are more able can help others and may also be able to continue ahead while waiting for others or they can work on other secondary projects.
I know that I did programming in 1982 - 1984. But that was quite different to what I am doing now and the technology has moved ahead in leaps and bounds.
Would it have more prudent for us to start at the beginning - getting teachers more IT Literate and comfortable with dealing with problems that might arise from this situation.
Perhaps we are trying to run before we can walk!!!!!
I can understand that these initial hiccups are frustrating. However they are by no means insurmountable. A system needs to be put in place to unsure students and teachers remember their usernames and passwords. The more you do it the easier it becomes. This project is about learning together and growing the capability of the teachers and the students. Problems can be seen as opportunities to learn and I think this is the way to look at it. “- If you fail, never give up because F.A.I.L. means "first Attempt In Learning"― A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
ReplyDeleteThe Learning Pit created by James Nottingham is a growth mindset way of looking at the challenge of new learning. The point of the model is to purposefully encourage students to go through the Learning Pit (not to avoid it, as some people have assumed!) By taking this more challenging route, students will think more, engage more, and ultimately learn more. https://www.thelearningchallenge.co.uk/
Let's make this work together. I'm working on modifying the Creative Computer Curriculum so it better fits our programme. I have started sharing this on my blog and with the team using Google Slides share. Looking forward to catching up in Week 3.